The heart of the Geeks for Kids challenge is building cool cars for kids with movement limitations. Each year, we seek more than 200 good-hearted folks to make our kids’ dreams come true – to make it possible for them to explore and play on their own and with their friends. We will also introduce you to the kids you have come to help.
To make this event thrum like the Indy 500, we need specialists on hand to help teams design and build the coolest and the most functional cars. To build the tech required to build these cars, we need:
- Designers with skills in:
- Graphic Design
- Engineering Design
- Engineers with skills in:
- Robotics Design and Development
To help customize cars in ways that make them work best for our kids, we need:
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- And, therapists-to-be
Not a Geek?
Terrific! There are lots of other ways you can help. We need lots of folks to help with non-technical tasks. There are designs to draft, seat cushions and safety harnesses to sew, hundreds of tasks and people to organize, and lots and lots of legwork. During each of the build events, we will teach you how to do each of the tasks required to build these cars. Please join us if you are a:
- Project manager
- Or, just willing to lend a hand!
Come on your own or bring a team. You can make a huge difference! Join us for a whole lot of fun, technical challenges - and help kids with movement limitations grow, learn and play.
Bring Your Team
Some folks sign up to volunteer for Geeks for Kids on their own. Others come as a team from their offices, their schools, churches or clubs. Either way, we are thrilled! We think, though, that teams have more fun.
What better way to build your team’s spirit than send them out to work together to improve a kid’s life. Geeks for Kids will get your teams thinking outside the box, working together and striving for the thrill of victory. Sure, the jocks have the Olympics and Corporate Challenge, but your team will build the tech that could one day save the world…or, at least, make a huge difference in kids’ lives.
Our Build Plan
We have days of knock-your-socks-off excitement planned for you during the Geeks for Kids build events. Our pit crews are tuned and ready to support you, just like at the Indy 500. We will have cars and parts waiting for you when you arrive. Our machine shop will be set-up to support you throughout the event. And, our tech mentors will be on hand, ready to help you in any way. Read on for more on what to expect.
Cars & Parts
LEARN will provide the following cars and car parts.
- Electric Toy Cars: Our Design Team will select the cars we will use for the build. These cars are off-the-shelf, electric, toy cars like those available at most major toy retailers.
- Electronics & Wiring Supplies: We will provide a basic set of electronics components include high-quality kill switches, power up/down switches, cables/wires, electronic relays and buttons. We will also provide LED cables to light up the cars.
- Special Needs Adaptation Supplies: Every child’s needs are different; so, we will provide the customized supplies needed for each car.
Tools & Machine Shop
For Geeks for Kids, we ask volunteers to bring basic, hand tools with them for the build events.
- It would be a big help if you can bring the basic hand-tools tools you may need. These include tools like:
- Power drill with a variety of drill bits
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Utility knife or box cutter
- Wire cutters/strippers
- Channel locks
- Needle-nose pliers
- Eye protection
- Sewing machines and basic sewing tools
- We will, in concert with our sponsors, provide a machine shop with the following resources:
- Drill press
- Ear protection