We have days of knock-your-socks-off excitement planned for you during the Geeks for Kids events. Our pit crews are tuned and ready to support you, just like at the Indy 500. We will have cars and parts ready and waiting for you when you arrive. Our machine shop will be set-up and ready to support you throughout the event. And, our tech and physical therapy mentors will be on hand, ready to help you in any way. Read on for more on what to expect.
Cars & Parts
LEARN will provide the following cars and car parts.
- Electric Toy Cars: We will provide a list of cars from which your team may choose. You can also propose an alternate brand/model, and we will try to accommodate your request if the car fits within our budget and can be obtained in time for the Build.
- Two Replacement Batteries: The batteries that come with the cars provide power for only about 30 minutes of drive time and last only a year or two. We will provide two better-quality batteries; these batteries provide up to two hours of drive time each; one can be charged while the other is in use.
- Electronics Base Kit: We will provide a basic set of electronics components include high-quality kill switches, power up/down switches, cables/wires, electronic relays and buttons. We will also provide LED cables to light up the cars.
- Special Needs Adaptation Supplies: Every child’s needs are different; so, we will provide the customized supplies needed for each car.
Tools & Machine Shop
For Geeks for Kids, we ask volunteers to bring basic, hand tools with them for the build events.
- Power drill with a variety of drill bits
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Utility knife or box cutter
- Wire cutters/strippers
- Channel locks
- Needle-nose pliers
- Eye protection
We will, in concert with our sponsors, provide a machine shop with the following resources:
- Drill press
- Ear protection