Building cool hot rods is at the heart of what we do here at Geeks for Kids. And, without volunteers (since we are all volunteers), we simply could not get a single car built. So, get involved.
What Happens at a Build Event
Build Days are divided into two shifts - morning and afternoon. You may come to either or both. When you arrive, you will join a team. Some teams are building cars, and others are doing special projects. (Special projects are tasks that need to get done to build a car. They include projects like sewing car seats, preparing parts for installation and more.) Each team is led by one or more of our experts. Your team leader will guide you through each task, every step of the way. You do not have to have experience. We will guide you to success. We strive to complete every car we start in the morning by the end of the Build Day.
Of course, while you are working hard to get our kids racing, we will provide the fuel you need (lunch, drinks and treats) to keep working. (You are welcome, however, to bring your own lunch if you would prefer.) During lunch, we will take some time to get acquainted with and introduce you to our kids - if only virtually.
Bring Your Team
Some folks sign up to volunteer for Geeks for Kids on their own. Others come as a team from their offices, their schools, churches or clubs. Either way, we are thrilled! We think, though, that teams have more fun.
What better way to build your team’s spirit than send them out to work together to improve a kid’s life. Geeks for Kids will get your teams thinking outside the box, working together and striving for the thrill of victory. Sure, the jocks have the Olympics and Corporate Challenge, but your team will build the tech that could one day save the world…or, at least, make a huge difference in kids’ lives.
Tools to Bring
Generally, we have everything we all need to design and build our cars and costumes. There are a few things that you might find helpful to bring, though. These include:
- Your Tool Bag - If you’re more comfortable with your own hand tools, you are very welcome to bring them.
- Your Sewing Machine - We have learned the hard way that many people find it confusing to sew on a machine they have never used before. (In fact, we have 2 dead sewing machines to prove it.) So, if you’d like to join the sewing team, we suggest bringing your own sewing machine. We will have all the thread, Velcro, fabric and other supplies you need.
Remote Building Opportunities
You and/or your team can lend a hand, even if you can’t join us in our workshop. We need all the help we can get, and there are jobs you can do from work or home. The following are just a sampling. Just click Register in the column at right, and we will give you a ring to discuss options.
- Join the Geeks for Kids Advisory Board and help with business, marketing and logistics tasks
More Technical Tasks
- Prepare sets of wires
- Print 3D parts
Super Techie Tasks
- Produce PCBs (stenciling, soldering, etc.)
- Modify steering wheels
- Make joystick consoles
- Make control panel consoles
- Join the Design Team and help improve existing solutions and invent new ones