We have two full days of knock-your-socks-off excitement planned for you during the Geeks vs. Geeks Build Event. Our pit crews are tuned and ready to support you, just like at the Indy 500. We will have your cars and parts ready and waiting for you in your pit (unless, of course, you would like your cars delivered ahead of time). Our machine shop will be set-up and ready to support you throughout the event. And, our tech and physical therapy mentors will be on hand, ready to help you in any way. Read on for more on what to expect.
Cars & Parts
LEARN will provide the following cars and car parts. If it would help your team to plan and prepare for the build days, we can arrange to deliver your car to your workplace prior to the Build Event. This can be particularly helpful if you are planning a complex build and believe you will need more than two days to complete your car.
Teams are welcome to bring any other supplies they think they may need.
- Electric Toy Cars: We will provide a list of cars from which your team may choose. You can also propose an alternate brand/model, and we will try to accommodate your request if the car fits within our budget and can be obtained in time for the Build.
- Two Replacement Batteries: Those that come with the cars provide power for only about 30 minutes of drive time and last only a year or two. We will provide two better-quality batteries; these batteries provide up to two hours of drive time each; one can be charged while the other is in use.
- Electronics Base Kit: We will provide a basic set of electronics components include high-quality kill switches, power up/down switches, cables/wires, electronic relays and buttons. We will also offer LED cables to light up the cars. Your team can choose up to $100 worth of these components at our cost.
- Special Needs Adaptation Supplies: Every child’s needs are different, and we want you to create the best possible solutions for each child. So, we will provide a list of sources from which you can find supplies; we will then order up to $100 worth of adaptive supplies on your behalf and have those supplies waiting for you at your work stations.
Tools & Machine Shop
For Geeks vs. Geeks, we will ask each team to bring basic, hand tools with them for the event. Teams should bring the basic hand-tools tools they need. These include tools like:
- Power drill with a variety of drill bits
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Flat-head screwdriver
- Utility knife or box cutter
- Wire cutters/strippers
- Channel locks
- Needle-nose pliers
- Eye protection
We will, in concert with our sponsors, provide a machine shop with the following resources:
- Professional work crew
- Drill press
- Ear protection