This year, we will host lots of exciting Geeks for Kids events this year because a job this huge takes a village. To build custom cars for kids with movement limitations, Geeks for Kids needs 200+ people – students and professionals alike - with lots of different skills including:
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Project managers
- Marketers and social media mavens
- Sponsors and donors
Design & Planning Meetings
The folks who keep Geeks for Kids and Invent for Good humming like a well-oiled engine - our Design and Business teams - meet every Monday and Thursday evenings. To learn more about how you can make magic happen for all the kids who are waiting for the #Power2Play, visit our Join the Team page.
It’s "all hands on deck" for Build Events. Over the course of each Build, 40 to 75 volunteers strive to complete up to 6 cars in a day.
No tech skills are necessary for many tasks – although we can always put great techs to work. Physical therapists check our designs to make sure they suit each child’s specific needs. Seamstresses help us cut out and sew seat cushions and make seat belts. Folks from all walks of life help with tasks like wrapping hard, plastic tires with rubber tread, pulling LED lights through plastic tubing and more.
We also create and install the tech that will soon get our kids moving. There are lots of jobs for our technically-minded folks, too. We put together wiring harnesses. We build custom drive systems that make it possible for kids to drive using only their hands, or their feet, or just with a flick of the finger or the press of a cheek. We modify steering assemblies and ready safety systems for installation. And, then we install all these systems and complete the cars.
- Dates: There are lots of Build Events this year. See the column at top, right to check out this year’s schedule.
- Time: 8:30a to 4:30p – You can join us for the day and see a build through from beginning to end, or you can work just the morning or afternoon shift. The morning shift runs from 8:30a to 1:30p, and the afternoon shift runs from 11:30 to 4:30p.
- Location: The Downtown Underground, 1201 W 31 Street, Kansas City, MO 64108
- To Fuel Your Engines: Drinks, lunch and snacks will be served.
To our team – and we hope soon for you too – Delivery Days are like the best Christmas morning ever! We bring together our recipient families, volunteers and sponsors for one huge party.
We set up a play area and a racetrack, do a final fitting for each child and then send the kids out to take a few loops around the track. When you see our kids (kids who cannot explore on their own) race around in their custom, electric cars for the first time, you'll see why our team volunteers so much of their free time to give these kids the #Power2Play. Then, relax and enjoy the party! There will be treats and drinks, music, bubbles, balloons and lots of fun. It will be the best day of your year!
- Delivery Day - Geeks for Kids 2023 Finale
- Date: June 3 (pencil us in for June 10 too in case of rain on the 3rd)
- Volunteers: 11a to 6p
- Recipients & Other Guests: 1 to 5p
- Location: Porsche Kansas City
- To Fuel Your Engines: Drinks and treats will be served.