While Geeks for Kids’ build events run from March through June, our Design Team and Advisory Board meet year-round. These teams are the Super Geeks of Geeks for Kids, the folks who work behind the scenes to make it possible to get so many kids racing.
Building these cars is an ultra-cool tech challenge. Our design team chooses an off-the-shelf toy, electric car. Then, they design modifications that make one of these cars work for each kid we “adopt” – stripping the cars down and building them up with the coolest and must functional tech they can imagine to make it easy for each kid to move, learn and play.
- Evaluates what worked well and what we can do better in past builds
- Sketches out new designs and systems for the kinds of cars we have built before
- Brainstorms about how we can help more kids with new solutions
- Researches new parts and suppliers
- And, plans and prepares for the upcoming build season.
The Advisory Board
Geeks for Kids might sound like a job for geeky people, but it also requires serious business acumen, too. Designing and building a bunch of cars with an all-volunteer team is a bit like planning the invasion of Normandy; there are so many tools, supplies and people to marshal and organize.
If you are a marketer, fundraiser, a project manager or a networker extraordinaire, we need your help! The Advisory Team guides the Geeks for Kids operations; they:
- Manage community outreach and communication for Geeks for Kids
- Recruit volunteers, sponsors and donors
- Plan and manage events
- Give our management team input on the Geeks for Kids mission, vision and goals